Join me as I ponder course content and the mysteries of behavior

9 – The One Book That Changes Everything

Few books have captivated my imagination and influenced my reading journey quite like “Eragon” by Christopher Paolini. This masterpiece wasn’t just a book; it was a gateway into a world brimming with magic, dragons, and adventure that reshaped my reading habits and preferences from the moment I turned its first page. I was gifted “Eragon” on my eleventh Christmas in 2005, a time when my reading palate was still being formed and refined. The striking cover, featuring a majestic blue dragon, whispered promises of untold adventures and mysteries. Little did I know, as I opened the wrapping, that it would mark the beginning of an unforgettable adventure through Alagaësia and beyond.

Why It Captivated Me

“Eragon” is more than just a story about a boy who finds a dragon egg; it’s a tale of courage, growth, and the fight against tyranny. Christopher Paolini crafted a world so detailed and characters so real that I couldn’t help but feel a part of their journey. The bond between Eragon and his dragon, Saphira, was particularly enchanting, showcasing a friendship that transcended the pages of the book. The book’s vivid descriptions of landscapes, battles, and the complexities of a magical world ignited my imagination in a way no other book had. It was the first time I experienced reading not just as a pastime, but as a compulsion and a portal into another world. “Eragon” expanded my understanding of what fantasy literature could be, blending elements of magic, lore, and heroism with a coming-of-age story that was both inspiring and relatable.

When I learned that the author was only fifteen when he started writing the novel, and that he wrote the novel inspired by his surroundings in Montanna, it made me feel connected to the story in a way I was new to. I could almost place myself in the mountain range of Alagaësia, known as the Spine, just beyond the northernmost peaks depicted on the map.

This book held my attention for years, but the series that it began has held my attention for many more. The most recent entry was released in late 2023, drawing me back into the formatively fantastical world of my youth.

For students of every ability and background, it’s the simple, miraculous act of reading a good book that turns them into readers, because even for the least experienced, most reluctant reader, it’s the one good book that changes everything. The job of adults who care about reading is… to put that book into a child’s hands.

– Nancie Atwell
(Bright, 2021, p. 148)